Cake Test(Blast) #3
So, if the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again expecting a different result, I thought I’d give myself a reprieve from going bat$h!+ crazy…
I switched up the cake flavors testing. I didn’t focus on the construction of the cake. That’s ok. I was exhausted from making cakes that served 24-30 people, and it’s alot of moolah! I decided making cupcake-sized stacks with the flavor combos I wanted would be the least overwhelming, least painful, and to be honest, quickest way to get it over with. I got stuff to do, and it all ain’t obsessing over cake!
The Test: with notes
1. Pecan cake, with Apple Honey Butter Filling and Honey Buttercream(honey liquor/honey)
Justin’s second favorite. Very tasty! Used Trader Joe’s candied pecans, a jarred apple honey butter filling, and my own recipe of honey buttercream with honey liquor, some honey, and a dash of maple syrup. Really a perfect cake, just not The One.
2. Almond Cake, with Black Cherry FIlling(Justin’s homemade Cherry Jam), and Honey Buttercream
Cake was great, very sturdy. Black cherry filling was subtle and overridden by all the almond. Icing was great.
3. Pumpkin Cake, with Apple Honey Butter Filling and Honey Buttercream, alternating layer of cream cheese icing.
Very homey. Best of the pumpkin bunch! Cake is very sturdy. This was a very close contender, but was concerned about the flavors being a little too unique for sharing in a range of taste palettes.
4. Pumpkin Cake, with Caramel Pecan Filling and Honey Buttercream, alternating layer of cc icing
Cake great. Caramel Pecan taste was amazing, but this cake may have been too rich. Alot going on. Fall flavors, for sure!
5. Pumpkin Cake, with Orange Marmalade Filling and Honey Buttercream
Couldn’t taste the marmalade! Use better one next time? I didn’t make my own marmalade, and this one was very runny. Even worse, I couldn’t taste it! I’ve never experienced a marmalade so bland. Maybe the pumpkin was just that strong? This Honey buttercream could make dirt taste good.
6. Lemon Poppyseed Cake, with Blackberry Jam Filling and Lemon Buttercream
Lemon buttercream was kind of meh. Cake was awesome, sturdy on its own. This was sort of a repeat test from our first cake test, to make sure we didn’t want it. We didn’t want it…
7. Blackberry Buttermilk cake, with Blackberry Jam filling, and Honey Buttercream
WINNER!!! Cake is great. Used lemon buttercream by accident. Will definitely use Honey Buttercream on final product. The One.
8. Strawberry Yellow Cake, with Strawberry Filling and Lemon-Vanilla buttercream
Disaster. Too much processed strawberry(jam and gelatin). That’s a no-go. Don’t use lemon extract in icing again. It’s gross. This cake was such an afterthought. For shame.
So for the recipes, I used CakeCentral’s White Almond Sour Cream cake that you can adapt to whatever flavor you want. Though I substituted quite a bit, and didn’t use a box mix. It’s so sturdy! And tasty. And I went with a new buttercream recipe with the hopes that we would rectify the overkill of my first recipe. Good instincts! Onto the next challenge! Getting all my equipment to the town I’m getting married in. It’s not very cost-effective to buy that stuff all over again….